Saffron-Mango Ice Cream

I offer my deepest apologies for not getting this recipe written up sooner. I tried making this delicious ice cream for the first time nearly three years ago! But, as sometimes happens, I didn't get around to writing up the recipe right away. And then disaster struck! The Terran population was struck by a foul plague and I all but forgot about my recipes and my write-ups.

For a while, I left my notes out where I could see them. As a reminder of my unfinished task. But I could never quite muster the will to put pen to paper as it were. And so, the recipe remained unwritten. After a year, with no end in sight for the plague and no progress made on my writing, I finally put my notes away. Told myself I'd come back to them some other time. And so I have! Although it's taken somewhat longer than I'd hoped.

Unfortunately, I was not... verbose in my note taking. And, after three years, they now make little sense to me. I don't remember what I did or how I did it. I assume that I started with a custard base (as I do with all Tyrian ice creams), but I've referenced a recipe that replaces the custard with coconut cream in my notes! And I didn't leave myself much guidance as to quantities or proportions either. So, although I have indeed made this dish, the paucity of notes and abundance of time between then and now means that I'm flying a little blind. I've done my best to reproduce the recipe, but this process included a bit more guesswork than I would have preferred. Hopefully I've captured the essence of it, if nothing else.


Saffron-Mango Ice Cream

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe ice cream base
  • generous 1/4 tsp. saffron threads
  • 4-5 c. diced mango

Directions

  1. If using an ice cream machine that requires freezing the bowl, make sure it's in the freezer at least a day or two in advance. Use a chest freezer if possible.
  2. Add the saffron to the milk and proceed with the ice cream base as directed: heating the saffron, milk, cream, and sugar; tempering and mixing in the eggs and mixing them in; cooking the custard; and finally stirring in the vanilla.
  3. Place the mango chunks in a blender and purée them. (Or mash them with a potato masher for a more "rustic" result.) Pour in a few tablespoons of the hot custard if necessary to help them blend smoothly.
  4. Once your mangoes are nice and smooth, pour in the rest of the custard and blend until homogeneous.
  5. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill for at 2-4 hours.
  6. Set up your ice cream machine and start it running.
  7. Pour the chilled custard into the machine and allow it to churn for 25-30 minutes.
  8. Turn off the machine and transfer the ice cream to a container and put it in the freezer until ready to eat.

Comments

Popular Posts