Roast (or Grilled) Meat with Mint Sauce

This dish is traditionally made by spit-roasting a whole (gutted and skinned) deer over an open flame. I had neither the deer, nor the spit-roasting equipment so I settle for some flame-grilled lamb chops. Much less grand, but it does at least still get some of the smoky flavours across and still feels a bit special. I do apologize from the deviation from the traditional fare, but I had to work with what I had. If I ever get the opportunity to spit-roast an entire deer or lamb, I will do my best to revisit this recipe for the curious and the traditionalists out there.


Grilled Meat with Mint Sauce

Ingredients

  • lamb (or venison)
  • 1 tsp. coarse sea salt per kg of meat
  • 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns per kg of meat, ground
  • 1 bowl of Mint Sauce per kg of meat

Directions

  1. Light your grill and let it preheat while you prep the meat.
  2. Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the surface of the meat. If you're using a larger cut and planning on roasting rather than grilling, season the meat the day before.
  3. Sear the meat on both sides over direct heat. For smaller cuts (like lamb chops), be careful not to over cook it.
  4. Once the meat is cooked to your liking, take it off the grill and top it with the mint sauce. (For larger cuts/roasts, you may want to serve the mint sauce on the side.)

Comments

Popular Posts